Monday, February 1, 2016

The media has been a part of politics for years now. I believe that media now and days plays a huge part in politics especially in this day and age where politicians have played a huge part in controversy. Media in this day and time has no constraints and is not rated, in this time and age you can pretty much say and do what you want regarding social media and now since social media is a huge platform, politicians are now joining the social media world in order to reach a younger audience and to connect with a whole different type of generation. The most consumed type of media is Facebook, I feel like Facebook is the largest viewed and most consumed type of media. Politics is widely discussed via Facebook from the average Facebook user to the actual politicians and all parties involved. Although television stations like different news media outlets discuss politics, they have more of a censored way of conversing about certain topics where your social media outlets have no ratings or filters and you say and express what you want. Topics through media doesn't have to be rated, that's why social media is so broad and open because it gives you stage to say how you feel. I also feel that following politics or any type of community issues through social will give you a more raw and direct feel on the a person feels it allows us to be more engaged and feel more involved about politics, religion, violence etc... Media plays an important role the average persons views.http://journalistsresource.org/studies/politics/digital-democracy/social-media-influence-politics-participation-engagement-meta-analysis

3 comments:

  1. I think the point you bring up about Politicians now using social media and integrating themselves into social media is so interesting.

    I agree with your statement about this being a method to reach the younger generations -- it's like a statement of saying "look how hip and current I am" as they try to wrangle votes and support and such. I think my favorite instance is Hillary Clinton doing a vine, saying that she's just "chilling in Cedar Rapids." It's so obvious this was meant for our generation.

    Beyond that, I think it's an interesting look at a new way to reach an individual. Holding Q+A's over social media gives the audience (in my opinion) a way to really feel connected one on one with politicians -- I think it's certainly an effective strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about political media not being rated or monitored in any meaningful way aside from public scrutiny, I wonder if/how this political social media environment has led to increasing polarization of views. After all, people can say literally anything they want to politically online without any claim to evidence or concern with truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete